Do you see a red or orange dot in the circle next to GPS on the map screen? If so, this indicates that the tracker is currently having difficulties detecting accurate GPS positions or maintaining a stable connection to local cell networks. The result of this is that you will not receive regular position updates until this issue is resolved.
For the best results, Tractive recommends opening the app to check that the device is reporting/connected as soon as you attach the GPS tracker to your furry friend. Additionally, please ensure that you have the latest version of the Tractive GPS app installed and update the app as necessary to ensure you'll see the most accurate and up-to-date information available about your GPS tracker.
Note: If you are in a Power Saving Zone, you will see WiFi in the top right-hand corner of the app when on the map screen. Your GPS tracker will no longer report regular GPS positions in this case as it is conserving battery power. Instead, every few minutes, the tracker will check to make sure it is still within the Power Saving Zone. Once your pet leaves the Power Saving Zone, your tracker will start reporting GPS positions as normal.
If you tap the GPS icon, a popup will appear with more information as to why the tracker cannot currently report accurate GPS positions. You can also press the power button on your tracker briefly and you will then see two flashing lights, which should correspond to the issue stated in the app. Read more about what the LED light colors mean here.
Generally, your tracker works best in an area with good network coverage when it has a clear line of sight to the sky. If you see an orange or red dot, we recommend going outside with your tracker in your hand and waiting for a couple of minutes so the tracker can establish the necessary connections. Please make sure of the following:
- The tracker is turned on. If you press the power button once briefly and see two flashing lights and hear a beep, the tracker is turned on. If not, the tracker is turned off. To turn the tracker on, hold the power button on the tracker down for three seconds until you see a green light and hear two ascending beeps.
- Your mobile device is connected to WiFi or cellular data.
- If your tracker features a detachable battery: The battery and tracker parts are firmly attached.
- Nothing is blocking the tracker's line of sight to the sky - examples would be buildings, the roof of your home, and a heavily wooded area.
Weather patterns, such as a thunderstorm, can also disrupt the signal.
Once you have made sure of the points listed above, if you still see an orange or red dot after a few minutes, please restart the Tractive GPS app and reset the tracker:
If you have our latest Dog or Cat tracker model, reset the tracker by holding the power button down for 10 seconds. Please then release the power button. The LED will light up for 2 seconds and you will hear a high-pitched tone indicating that your tracker has been successfully reset.
If you have any other tracker, reset it by holding the power button down for 30 seconds. Please then release the power button. A successful reset is indicated by a flashing light and beeping sound.
Afterwards, please wait for a few minutes while the tracker tries to connect to local cell networks and detect accurate GPS positions. Please also try a short test walk (10 minutes are sufficient) around your local area with your tracker in your hand and LIVE tracking active, if possible.
Should you continue to experience issues, please contact Tractive Customer Service for support and leave the tracker turned on, if possible. Please include the following information in your message to help us handle your request more efficiently:
- When did you begin experiencing this issue?
- After resetting the tracker and placing it outside for a few minutes, what color combination do you see if you press the power button once (e.g. green-red)?
- The date and time of your test walk.