Great question! Sometimes, a microchip and GPS pet tracker are mistaken for the same thing. However, they are two very different pieces of technology, used for different purposes.
- are the size of a grain of rice and can therefore be implanted safely under the skin.
- contain no GPS tracking or localization technology.
- are used to identify a pet's owner when a lost dog or cat is already found and brought in to a shelter or veterinarian.
GPS trackers for dogs or cats:
- continuously calculate the location of your pet using GPS satellites, enabling you to view your dog or cat's whereabouts in real-time in the companion app.
- allow you to always know where your pet is and find them immediately if they get lost.
- weigh about 30 grams and contain a battery pack, GPS antenna, GSM module, etc.
- easily attach to your pet's collar or harness.
Curious to learn more about pet tech, or other topics for your furry friend? Visit the Tractive blog >