Most Tractive GPS Trackers have an expected battery life of 2-5 days; the Tractive GPS XL Edition offers a battery life of up to 6 weeks.
If you're having difficulties charging your battery, click here to read our charging troubleshooting tips.
If you'd like to extend the battery life of your tracker, please review the following factors which can determine how long your battery lasts:
The strength of the available cellular network signal in your area can influence the battery life. Are you in an area with little to no network signal? This could be the reason for the battery drain. Here's what you can do:
- Avoid using the GPS tracker in areas where there might be a weak cellular network signal. Your phone's mobile network strength can be a good indicator of this.
The availability of GPS signals also plays a role in determining the battery life of your tracker.
- Avoid using the device or tracking your pet when he or she is indoors - the roof of the building will interfere with the GPS signal.
- Make sure there is nothing blocking your pet's GPS tracker from the open sky and attach the tracker to the top of your pet's collar or harness (facing the sky) whenever possible.
Batteries function best and offer the longest lifetime at room temperature. For optimal performance:
- Avoid exposing your tracker to temperatures colder than -5°C and warmer than 40°C.
- When using the device in extreme temperatures, minimize the use of LIVE Tracking and ensure you have good cellular coverage.
Your Pet’s Activity Level
Is your pet always on the go? Higher activity levels mean more frequent position reports, which can lead to a shorter battery life.
- Try turning off the Tractive GPS when you don't need to track your pet (for example: when your dog is safely asleep on the couch beside you).
- Consider using a back-up battery: You can purchase spare batteries for the new Tractive IKATI, Tractive GPS CAT and Tractive GPS DOG trackers at https://tractive.com/en/pc/accessories (available in select countries).
Use of LIVE Tracking Mode
LIVE Tracking mode drains the battery more quickly than default tracking mode.
- Conserve battery life by limiting the use of LIVE Tracking to situations in which your pet is out of sight or needs to be retrieved immediately. In default tracking mode, you'll still receive position updates every 2-60 minutes (depending on your pet's activity level).
- Enable battery saving mode: visit https://my.tractive.com/#/settings/trackers/ and select a tracker. There you should now see the option to enable battery saving mode.
If you are still having issues with battery life after following these tips, please contact Tractive Customer Service for support.