If your Tractive GPS tracker won't turn on, follow the steps on this page to fix the issue.
How do I know if my tracker is turned on or off?
First, determine if the tracker not turning on is really the issue. If the tracker is not turned on, there will be a red dot in the circle next to GPS at the top of your screen. Tapping on GPS will give you more information - for example, it will tell you if the tracker is turned off. If you are informed that the tracker cannot update its location or is not connected to the network, follow the troubleshooting tips here.
You can also check to see if the tracker is turned on by pressing the main power button on the device briefly (less than 3 seconds).
- If the LED lights up and you hear a short beep, the tracker is turned on.
- If there is neither a beep nor a light, the tracker is turned off.
- If you see a blinking red light, the battery level is too low and the tracker must be charged.
If the LED lights up and you hear a short beep when you check if the tracker is turned on, but you aren't receiving any updates in the app, this is likely due to a connection issue. Please check the LED status of your device and follow the tips at the end of this article to try and resolve this issue.
Troubleshoot charging cable and battery
- Use the charging cable that came with your tracker. To check that the charger is working correctly, try using it with another device.
- If your device features an exchangeable battery, try using a different battery in the tracker, and vise versa (using a different tracker with the battery, to rule out a potential battery defect).
- When charging, check that the charger is securely connected to tracker. Check that there's nothing covering your tracker's charging port, like dirt, dust or lint. Gently remove dirt or debris with a cloth or toothbrush.
- Try using a different power source to charge the GPS tracker. To check that the power source is working, plug in something else, such as a lamp. Note: 5V adapters with an output of 0.5A, 1A or 2A are safe for charging the Tractive GPS trackers. Any charger with a higher voltage (for example 9V) can damage the device.
- Check the battery and charger for damages, bite marks, etc. Replacement accessories can be purchased here.
Troubleshoot battery charge
- Plug in your Tractive GPS tracker with a working charging cable connected to a power source, like a laptop. A red light should turn on to indicate charging.
- Allow the tracker to charge until the red light turns off or turns green. This indicates that the tracker is fully charged.
- Reconnect the tracker to the battery if necessary.
- Open the app to check the status of the tracker. If the battery status does not update, this is likely due to a connection issue. Please check the connection status of your tracker and follow the troubleshooting tips in this article to resolve this issue.
Troubleshoot tracker button
- After fully charging the device with a working charging cable, turn on the tracker by pressing the power button for 3 seconds.
- If the device does not respond with an LED light flash and beeping sound to indicate that it has been turned on, check the power button. Does it appear stuck? If so, contact Tractive for support, indicating the issue.
How to turn on the Tractive GPS
Reminder: To turn on your Tractive GPS tracker, simply press the main power button for 3 seconds. The LED light will flash green to indicate that the tracker has been turned on.
If you need further assistance, contact Tractive Customer Service for support.