Especially if you have a smaller mobile data plan for your smartphone, it's important to be aware of the data consumption of the Tractive GPS app. Unfortunately, we can't give any exact information because it's highly dependent on the individual usage.
The major consumption of data is caused by downloading map data. We implemented the maps services of Google Maps (Android) and Apple Maps (iOS), so the data consumption is pretty similar with those map apps on your phone.
However rough assumptions can be made:
- Connection data to Tractive GPS tracker (including LIVE Tracking): less than 5 MB per day.
- Map data (standard view): 5 - 15 MB in a circuit of 10km.
- Map data (satellite view, hybrid view): The data consumption increases by a factor of 10 -> 50 - 150 MB (circuit of 10km)
To sum up, it can be said that for Tractive GPS data, plans with at least 1 GB of data included are recommended to guarantee the best experience and no worries. The data consumption is highly dependent on the individual usage, and can be checked at any time in your phone settings.
Useful tips to save data (especially important when you're abroad on holiday, where data roaming is active):
- Load the map data of your area over a public WiFi instead over your cellular data connection. You can load the map by zooming in and browse through your area, so then this part of the map will be cached on your smartphone and will not get loaded over cellular.
- Use the standard view instead of satellite or hybrid view, because your data consumption will be reduced significantly to about 10%. Satellite pictures, especially with high resolution, require a lot of data.
- If GPS tracking is not needed at the moment, close your App, because it will not consume any background data. If you are opening the App again, position data of your pet will be synced immediately with the tracker.