In the Tractive GPS app, you can receive notifications related to the following five events:
If you do not receive notifications when you should have, or receive a false notification, read below to find out why this type of error occurs and how it can be corrected.
False Virtual Fence Outbreak Notifications
If you are receiving notifications that your dog or cats has left the defined safe area, when in reality he or she has not, this does not mean that the tracker or app is defective. This can happen in cases where the GPS accuracy is not ideal due to environmental factors.
Most of the time, these false alerts are due to inaccurate positioning associated with the GPS tracker being used inside of a building or home.
GPS signals can be reflected by windows, water, roofs, tall building, forest, weather, and even air particles. In addition, the amount of GPS satellites that are in view can affect what you see in your app.
When the device cannot locate a GPS signal, it uses another, less accurate method of locating to make a rough estimate of your pet's position.
So while your pet may been indoors, the roof of your home is blocking the GPS signal and thus a localization technique known as cellular triangulation estimates your dog to be down the road. As a result, you receive a false Virtual Fence outbreak notification.
What to do:
Our developers are away of this issue and are doing everything possible to filter out those incorrect sets of location data. Until there is an update which will correct this issue, try the following two tips to prevent these false notifications from being sent to your phone:
- Enlarge your Virtual Fence area
- Turn the tracker off while indoors or out of use.
The following is a list of reasons why you may not receive notifications:
- Your notifications are not enabled, either in the Tractive GPS webapp or in your phone's settings. If you think this may be the case, read how to enable notifications here.
- Your virtual fence is active in the wrong location
- You have no internet on your smartphone/tablet
- You misspelled the e-mail address for receiving notifications in the webapp
(only for e-mail notifications of course)
- If none of these tips could help you, please contact the customer service team.
We are here to help you!